Your roof is designed to withstand the elements and keep your home protected. However, even a well maintained roof will experience deterioration over time and need to be replaced. Unfortunately, old roofing materials often end up in landfills, hurting the environment. The good news is asphalt shingles can actually be recycled. In this post, your local roofing and siding contractor discusses some ways you can repurpose old asphalt shingles.
- Creating an asphalt shingle doormat. Keeping a nice homemade mat to welcome your guests is always a great idea. All it requires is just gluing your shingles together. Here’s the step-by-step process you can follow:
1. Gather all of the shingles you wish to use in your project.
2. Flip the shingles so that the rough part is facing down.
3. Arrange the tiles in the shape you want your mat to be.
4. Carefully hot glue all tiles together, line by line, and wait for the glue to dry.
5. Flip the shingles over as a whole.
6. You can design it quickly and easily by spray painting.
- Recycling slate tiles for flowerpots. This project is perfect for you if you have been looking for a place to put your plants. Here’s how you can make this one:
1. Gather four slate tiles and ensure they have the same dimension.
2. Stack the tiles on top of each other and drill two holes through each side.
3. Get four rectangular pieces sized 1 x 3 inches to bolster each corner of the flowerpot.
4. Drill the wood bolsters to where holes have already been drilled on each side of the tiles.
5. Connect all of the sides.
- Making cost-effective walkways. This is another practical use for your old shingles. Lay the shingles down brick-style to create this walkway. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to contact your roof and siding installation contractor.
- Make art. There are no rules when it comes to art, so you are free to use your old shingles or tiles and get creative. Don’t forget to wash off the dirt from the materials and wait for them to dry before applying primer and painting them.
Since 1978, A1 Siding & Roofing has provided quality residential and commercial exterior renovation, repair and maintenance services for roofing and siding. Do you need an expert vinyl siding contractor in the Manchester area? Call A1 Siding & Roofing today or fill out our online form to schedule a free estimate for any service.